Podcasting has exploded in recent years, with more than 100 million Americans listening to podcasts each month. This growth is great for the industry, but it also means competition is higher than ever. Podcasters looking to attract new listeners (and keep their existing ones engaged) face a significant challenge.
Today we'll discuss how launching giveaways of custom stickers, magnets, and t-shirts (sometimes called “swag” or “merch”) with your branding can be a powerful podcast marketing strategy, rewarding current listeners and gaining new ones at the same time.
Why launch a giveaway?
Giveaways are a tried-and-true marketing tactic that’s been used for decades by businesses to attract new customers and keep existing ones engaged. They provide an incentive for people to take a specific action — sign up for a newsletter, follow a social media account or, in this case, listen to a podcast.
Launching a giveaway of branded merch has a number of benefits for podcasters:
- It rewards your listeners: By giving away something of value to your listeners, you're showing them that you appreciate their support and are invested in their experience.
- It generates buzz: Giveaways generate excitement and can help get people talking about your podcast. This can lead to more word-of-mouth recommendations and a larger audience.
- It increases brand awareness: Custom stickers, magnets, and t-shirts are all items that people use and wear in public. By putting your branding on these items, you're increasing your visibility and building brand recognition.
How to launch a giveaway
Launching a giveaway is relatively easy and doesn't require a large investment. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to get started:
- Choose your item: Custom stickers, magnets, and t-shirts are all great options for podcast giveaways that listeners still get excited about receiving. But do consider which item will resonate most with your audience and align with your branding.
- Design your item: Work with a designer or use an online design tool to create a design that features your branding and is visually appealing.
- Determine the rules: Decide on the rules for entering the giveaway. For example, you could require people to follow your podcast on social media, leave a review on Apple Podcasts, or share a specific episode with their friends.
- Promote your giveaway: Use your podcast, social media, and email newsletter to promote your giveaway and encourage people to enter. Be sure to use SEO-friendly keywords like "podcast marketing strategy" and "how to promote a podcast" in your promotions to increase visibility.
- Choose your winners: Once the giveaway has ended, choose your winners and notify them via email or social media.
Tips for a successful giveaway
To ensure that your giveaway is a success, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Make it easy to enter: The more hoops people have to jump through to enter your giveaway, the less likely they are to do so. Keep the entry process simple and straightforward.
- Set a clear deadline: Giveaways should have a clear end date, which should be prominently displayed in your promotions.
- Follow through on your promise: If you promise to give away a certain number of items, be sure to follow through on that promise. Failing to do so can damage your reputation and make it less likely that people will participate in future giveaways.
- Collect feedback: After the giveaway has ended, ask your listeners for feedback on their experience. This can help you improve future giveaways and make your podcast more engaging overall.
Launching a giveaway of custom stickers, magnets, and t-shirts with your branding can be an effective podcast marketing strategy that rewards listeners and gains new ones. By providing an incentive for people to engage with your podcast, you're building a loyal audience that will be more likely to recommend your show to others.
But keep in mind that giveaways are just one tactic in a broader podcast marketing strategy. To promote your podcast effectively, you'll need a multi-channel approach that includes social media, email marketing, guest appearances on other podcasts, and more.
And of course, what ultimately matters most is that you’re putting out high-quality content that resonates with your target audience. Giveaways can be a great way to attract new listeners, but it's the quality of your podcast that will keep them coming back for more.
Finally, be sure to track your results and adjust your strategy as needed. Use analytics tools to measure the success of your promotions and engagement metrics to see how your audience is responding to your podcast overall.
Follow these best practices to create a successful podcast marketing strategy that rewards your listeners and expands your audience.